If you’re looking to trek in the beautiful Himalayas, Kedarkantha trek is one of the best options out there. Situated in Uttarakhand, this trek is most famous for its Kedarkantha Temple. The trek starts at Sankri and moving in a circular route end their only. Especially for first time trekkers, Kedarkantha trek route is easy to trek in and only 25kms in total which is still easier than a lot of other trekking routes. But before you start dreaming of the mountain beauty, let us prepare you with some dos and don’ts to make your trek easier.
● The best time to go for Kedarkantha Trek is from the months of December to February. Since it is the winter season, the trek route is filled with snow. In the monsoon season, the snow is still falling which can be risky for the trekkers therefore, avoid visiting Kedarkantha in the monsoon seasons completely.
● Avoid taking food items that will generate any kind of waste. If you do take something that creates trash for you to throw, do not litter the beautiful mountains. Instead, keep the trash with you during the journey and throw it in the dustbin once you reach the hotel. As trekkers it is our responsibility to keep the place, we are visiting clean.
● Try to carry food items that are light for your gut. Anything heavy will slow you down and make you lethargic. You might even get sick if the food item doesn’t suit you. So light snacks like peanuts, dry fruits, bananas, chocolates, biscuits, oranges, apples and jiggery are better recommended for a trek like this.
● Team work is essential in a trek like this. You take care of others when they need it and they will take care of you when you need it. As a responsible trekker listen to all the instructions given by your guide carefully and help your fellow trekkers by keeping them motivated to keep going. Remember, this is not a competition!
● Do not make it difficult for your leader or team. Trekking is hard enough without somebody not listening to their leader and following the rules that have been given. Wake up on time, and do not get separated from your team while trekking. A leader’s word is final so don’t argue because they definitely know better than you.
● Stay hydrated during the Kedarkantha trekking trip but do not over drink either. Don’t keep drinking water while walking as that could make you sick. Stop for minute before you take a sip. Do not forget to fill your water bottle whenever you get a chance as there are only a limited number of streams you will see during this trek.
● Good pair of shoes is a must for a trek like this. You don’t have to spend a fortune on sports shoes just make sure that whatever shoes you are wearing don’t have a slippery tendency to them. As long as they have a strong hold, you’ll be fine. You can also buy shoes at Sankri for Rs 300 and they are said to be pretty good for a trek like this.
● Do not forget to keep a lot of cash on hand before starting your trip. Kedarkantha doesn’t have any ATMs nearby so it is better if you carry cash wherever you go. Since there’s a network problem in the mountains don’t think about making digital transactions. They might not go through or people might not even have Paytm or Gpay.
● Woolen clothes are a must in the mountain areas, especially if you’re going there in winters. Temperature in Kedarkantha is quite low. Sweaters, jackets, mufflers, gloves, atleast a pair of socks for each day are a necessity. Mountains are cold at all times so even if you’re travelling in summers atleast carry light woolens for your own protection from cold.
● Even with cold weather, the sun can be quite strong in these regions therefore don’t forget to carry items for protection from sunlight. Sunglasses, sunscreen lotion with enough SPF, lip balm, etc. A windproof jacket is also recommended as winds can be quite harsh in hilly regions especially in monsoons.
● Carry a box of medications with any medicines you might need. Even if you don’t have any health issues carry medicines for possibilities like headache, stomach ache, altitude sickness etc. Also carry general first aid stuff like band aids, Volini spray, Dettol for cut and scrapes etc. as you are more prone to get hurt in these areas.
● Trekking poles, trekking bags and trekking shoes can all be arranged from Sankri but you will have to book them in advance. Especially in peak season all the trekking stuff is booked very quickly so do not leave it on last minute to book these things. Also book your hotel in advance too as you might not get last minute accommodation.
● Carry your identity card and some photo copies everywhere you go. You won’t be allowed entry in certain places without that. Also carry your camera everywhere to click pictures of this beautiful Kedarkantha trekking trip. Don’t forget extra batteries, memory card and charger so that you can click as many pictures as you like.
● BSNL is the only network that works in these regions so buy a separate BSNL sim card for this trip. Don’t forget to carry your charger with you. Also, if possible, buy a power bank for this trip as electricity is a problem in these regions and you might not get a lot of chances to charge your phone as and when you want.
● Lastly, pack light and smart. Carry everything that is necessary but don’t carry extra luggage just for the sake of it. The heavier your burden is the more you will find it difficult to pick up speed while trekking. You don’t want to get tired in the first 20 minutes of your trek due to a heavy luggage.
We hope this list helps you plan your Kedarkantha trekking trip with much more ease. Have a safe trip and don’t forget your mask for these hard times!
Visit for more details