Do Unmarried Parents Have to Pay Child Support in Florida?

Posted April 24, 2022 by jjlawfl

In Florida, every parent is financially responsible for the children. Regardless of marital status, child support is issued by a court order.
In Florida, every parent is financially responsible for the children. Regardless of marital status, child support is issued by a court order. The payment amounts are based on various factors, including income. Jacobs Law Firm, an Orlando paternity attorney, will discuss parental rights in Florida. Parents seeking child support and child custody should retain a family lawyer. We’ll explain why.

Unmarried parents with kids who split up go through a different process than in a divorce. With marriage rates declining, some people choose to stay officially single. Couples in Florida who are unmarried and have kids may break up in the future. While divorce proceedings will be avoided, child support and custody won’t be. If you recently went through a breakup and are a single parent in Florida, you want to retain a family lawyer.

Paternity needs first to be established in the courts to get child support in Florida. Unwed parents should do this right after the child is born. However, many people never believe that their relationship will end. As an Orlando paternity attorney, we can’t express how important this step is. If you break up, not going through the courts will impact child support, custody, or visitation. Paternity can be established in Florida from the child’s birth until they turn 18.

Not establishing paternity in Florida can have devastating consequences. The mother receives by law sole physical and legal Orlando child custody attorney. Some parents are okay without establishing their parental rights. Someone may want to avoid paying child support or block visitation. Florida has no statutes in place for these situations, and either parent can be on the losing side. If you need help establishing paternity, consult with our Orlando attorneys. We help both parents who need a family lawyer in Orange County, FL.

Single mothers lose financially by not being able to receive child support payments. Unmarried fathers will not have any custodial rights. Children end up being negatively impacted when paternity isn’t established. Even if the father’s name is on the birth certificate, legally, he has no rights in Florida. Unwed and married couples with kids have different parental rights in this state. Our family lawyers can help you get child support or custody in Orlando, FL.

The legal father is the husband after a child is born to a married couple in Florida. No paternity needs to be established in the courts for wed parents. To learn more about Florida family laws, contact our office for a consultation. Our Orlando paternity attorney can help you with your parental rights. Jacobs Law Firm also specializes in child custody and support cases in Orange County, FL.


Jacobs Law Firm

331 S. Wymore Rd., Winter Park, Florida



(407) 335-8113


[email protected]
-- END ---
Contact Email [email protected]
Issued By Addams
Phone (407) 335-8113
Business Address 331 S. Wymore Rd., Winter Park, Florida
Country United States
Categories Legal
Tags orlando collaborative divorce attorney , paternity lawyer lake county fl
Last Updated April 24, 2022