Ask any working mum in Surrey (or the greater London area) where their biggest concerns lay when it comes to childcare and all of them will tell you that they are constantly worried about their child’s safety. The second biggest worry is the backup childcare available in Surrey in the event the regular day care is unavailable. There are several reasons why a backup child care plan may be needed.
● Working moms who cannot afford to turn down shifts that become available at the spur of the moment
● Illness or flu bug outbreak in primary child care centre
Remember the Batteries
A secondary child care service is always a wise option to pursue because you just never know when it might be needed. Do you remember the last time you were in the supermarket and started to buy extra batteries and then decided not to? The next time the lights went out and your flashlight was as dead as a doornail, you smacked your forehead with the palm of your hand. Adding a backup childcare plan is a lot like that only the implications are far more costly than sitting in the dark for a little while.
Bound by Law
Most childcare services will not enter into a secondary contract due to the ratio of children per child care provider. In other words, they cannot guarantee an open space on an “only as needed” basis since they may be filled to capacity by law on the day that you need them. However, many childcare services will have a list of providers who work from home and could be on call that they will share with you.
Three Top Tips for Backup Child care
● Build a list of responsible childcare providers or ‘babysitters’. You may have to start with just one or two; however, you will be surprised how quickly the list will grow once those sitters that you do trust get word. Always meet with referral sitters even if those referrals come from sitters that you trust. Check all references and contacts thoroughly.
● Build a second list of family and friends. The next time you have a family get together, spread the word about what you are trying to do. You will be surprised at how many family members and friends are willing to help out as long as it is on a temporary or occasional basis. Teenagers in your family are always looking for ways to earn a few extra pounds.
● Sign up with a temporary sitting service. The Surrey area is filled with agencies that are very good at finding qualified sitters for your child or children. Many of these services specialize in finding sitters on the spur of the moment. It is wise to lay down a few of your own rules as well. Be adamant that they only send sitters who have been with the agency for more than a year. Let the agency know that you will only accept sitters who have never received complaints.
An Abundance of Nannies
There are many good nanny agencies in Surrey and the Greater London area as well as individuals who advertise in the local papers. As long as you are particular and take every possible precaution, you should find a great, on call sitter or service for your backup childcare needs.